Family Practice Clinic – Monday to Friday. Emergency on call 24/7 department; working 1:3 or 1:4 24hr call, depending on number of physicians on site.
Our team provides regular clinic, emergency and inpatient care under one roof to a primarily First Nations, Heiltsuk Nation community of approximately 1500 people.
The hospital and clinic, overlooking the ocean, is in the center of this rural and remote community and is a focal point for community life in many ways. Working here will give you a real sense of the richness of aboriginal culture in it’s home environment.
- Practice or Institution Name R.W. Large Memorial Hospital and Medical Clinic
- Street address N/A
- City Bella Bella
- Country Canada
- Province/State British Columbia
- Map #88 Waglisla Street, Bella Bella BC
- Start Date June 28, 2021
- End Date March 13, 2022
- Schedule Description Working either in the clinic or Emergency department Monday to Friday. Covering on call 1 or 2 evenings. Saturday and Sunday on call. May be able to schedule Saturday only if needing to depart community on Sunday. Call volume is low; average 4 hours/day. Typical Day: Rounds at 8:30AM Clinic hours: Monday to Friday: 1020 - 1200 and 1300 - 1700 Appointments: • Pre-booked, 20 min each (PM) • Follow-ups, 20 min each (AM, booked by physicians only) • Urgent, 20 min each, seen by MD on call ER on call is 24 hour shifts.
- Specialty FAMILY MEDICINE
- Location class Rural
- On-Call/After Hour Requirements 24 hour shifts. On site and via telephone. Accommodations are steps away from the hospital.
- Qualifications CCFP or CCFP(EM) or Family Practice physician with Emergency experience. If not CCFP(EM) certified, you will need to have ACLS, ATLS, PALS or NRP certifications to work in the Emergency Department. If any of the certifications have expired and you have emergency experience, the CARE certification can replace expired certifications.
- Perks * Accommodation is provided at no charge. Located across the street from the hospital and ocean. Locum physicians are provided accommodation in a duplex – fully furnished, one bedroom with laundry on site. * Pedal and electric bikes and kayaks available for use to explore the great outdoors and ocean playground. * Come join us where mountains and ocean converge to provide nature-lovers with outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities in the pristine Cariboo-Chilcotin-Coast! * Fishing trips/Eco Tours can be arranged for you.
- Work Environment All under one roof : The R.W. Large Memorial Hospital has 6 acute beds, 7 continuing care beds and a 3-bed emergency department open 24/7, along with a laboratory, diagnostic imaging services and telehealth services. Also within the hospital you’ll find a medical clinic, pharmacy and ambulance services. Clinic: 3 patient exam rooms, doctor's office is in the same room.
- EMR Wolf
- Community / Neighbourhood Bella Bella is a beautiful island community off the central coast of British Columbia. It is 690 km north of Vancouver, near Campbell Island. It is surrounded by a magical world of channels, inlets and old growth forest. It is home to salmon, orcas, humpbacks, bald eagles and the other denizens of the Pacific Northwest.
- Compensation Combined or Other Payment Models
- Estimated Remuneration FTE Locum Contract: The contract will be for the minimum number of hours per scheduled days being provided; prorated as an FTE of the full time contract. Remuneration is based on a minimum of 8 hours being provided per day. In addition to the contract rate additional amounts are the Fee Premium Equivalent (FPE) incentive of 26.18% of the contract amount (paid when received from VCH – usually 3 months after the locum), MOCAP and REEF (Rural Emergency Enhancement Fund) for being on call. • Average weekly remuneration; covering Monday to Sunday: $10,394.61 (including the FPE incentive), plus Mocap and REEF. • Mocap: Monday – Thursday $ 408.00 Fridays $527.00 Saturday and Sundays $624.00/each day • REEF is an additional $300 per 24 hour call shift
- Payment Terms VCH Locum contract. Paid monthly the first week of the following month. MOCAP: paid monthly the first week of the following month. FPE Incentive: Paid quarterly, approximately 3 - 4 months after the locum assignment. REEF: Paid Quarterly
- Incentives & Guaranteed Minimums Please see above remuneration information.
- Other Details Community and site orientation information provided prior to being on site. Full orientation of departments and EMR system first day on site. Travel • You can fly to and from Bella Bella. At the moment, 2 charter services from Vancouver to Bella Bella are being utilized during the Pandemic. There are no commercial flights in June at this time. There is no charge for the charter and the site makes the arrangements for you and provides the confirmation. Family is not able to accompany you on the charter flights, but can arrive via ferry. Once commercial airline resumes, there will be daily flights with Pacific Coastal Airlines. • There is BC ferry service to Bella Bella from Port Hardy, but the schedule doesn’t always accommodate arriving on Sunday and departing on Saturday, but may be an option.