- Practice or Institution Name Reach Community Health Centre
- City Vancouver
- Specialty FAMILY MEDICINE
Established in 1969, REACH is a non-profit, community-governed organization with a history of primary care innovation and a commitment to equality and social justice in East Vancouver. We have a multidisciplinary approach to care within our medical, dental, pharmacy, multi-cultural family centre and an Urgent & Primary Care Centre (UPCC). We are committed to providing inclusive, accessible and sustainable programs and services to support the physical and mental health and well-being of our community and individuals within it.
The REACH UPCC will provide triage and delivery of urgent primary care services to any patient who presents themselves during the hours of operation. This program provides urgent primary care to any individual who needs it 8am-10pm Monday to Saturday and 9am-5pm on Sundays regardless of whether they are attached to another primary care provider for longitudinal care. While the emphasis is on urgent primary care, REACH UPCC strengthens our existing commitment to the social determinants of health as a foundation for patient care. We are also developing ways of connecting patients to care in the evolving Primary Care Network surrounding the REACH UPCC so that it functions as a hub and integrator in the network.
Position: Physician/Family Practice Physician
FTE: Up to 1.0 (Part time / job share sessional applications welcome)
Compensation: Compensation Type *Alternative Payment Arrangement – Service Contract
Program/Service: REACH Urgent & Primary Care Centre
This position, funded through a contract with the VCHA and the Alternative Payments Program of the BC Ministry of Health, is a family physician position providing urgent primary care in the REACH UPCC within a team based care model.
Family physicians working in the REACH UPCC will be expected to manage the entire range of acute primary care problems usually presenting to a family physicians office, including minor procedures such as suturing wounds, splinting injuries and responding to acute psychiatric or substance withdrawal scenarios. They will be comfortable with resuscitating and stabilizing a patient whose acute medical needs exceed the capability of the unit while awaiting transfer to an emergency room.
The physician performs job duties through a trauma informed care framework and culturally sensitive and safe lens for families and individuals across the lifespan. It is important that the physician be willing and interested in working collaboratively as part of the interdisciplinary team at REACH; be committed to the goal of improving the health of people living in the community; and aligned with REACH values and mission. This role is accountable to the Medical Director and the Executive Director.
The health care team in the REACH UPCC includes physicians, nurse practitioners, advanced practice RN’s, social workers, and friendly support staff.
Direct Patient Care:
- Primary Care/General Practice services including but not limited to:
- Provide team-based care along with an interdisciplinary team
- Consult including history and physical examination, review of x‑rays and laboratory findings and written reports.
- Complete examination for any conditions seen requiring a complete physical examination and detailed history.
- Visits for any condition requiring partial or regional examination and history – includes both initial and subsequent examination for the same or related conditions;
- Provide appropriate care for the patient’s conditions as traditionally and/or historically expected for the service rendered;
- Provide immediate treatment for minor fractures and other minor injuries requiring splinting and/or suturing
- Lead and participate in resuscitation and stabilization of acutely unwell patients requiring transfer to hospital
- Provide information and advice regarding prevention of illness and injury and the elements of good health;
- Consult with other physicians/ health care providers, when required for patient care;
- Discuss with and provide advice and information to the patient or the patient’s representative regarding the patient’s conditions and recommended therapy;
- Undertake all other direct patient care activities normally provided by a GP.
In-direct Patient Care:
- Clinical administrative service including but not limited to:
- Arrange for related assessments, procedures and/or therapy as may be appropriate, and interpreting the results;
- Arrange for follow-up care; referring to different resources as needed.
- Make and maintain an adequate medical record of encounters
- All other in-direct patient care activities as agreed to by the Physician and the Agency.
Other clinical administrative and team-based activities:
- Team-based activities including, but not limited to active participation in:
- meetings for continuous professional development;
- meetings for interprofessional support and quality improvement;
- meeting for global communication and coordination of medical clinic functions
- Provide learning opportunities and support for students
- Clinical administrative services including, but not limited to:
- Participate in the evaluation of the efficiency, quality and delivery of the Services, including and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, participation in medical audits, peer and interdisciplinary reviews, chart reviews, and incident report reviews, as required.
- Submission to the Agency of all reports reasonably required by the Agency within 30 days of the Agency’s written request.
Team and centre activities:
- Participate actively in staff meetings and board meetings (where applicable).
- Participate in the overall activities of the health centre; in-service training, committees, special events and shared staff responsibilities.
- Communicate clearly, listen accurately, is open to feedback, handle conflict appropriately, and display sensitivity to others.
- Collaborate well with others, promote cooperation and teamwork.
- Participate in REACH’s commitment to becoming discrimination free and an inclusive health centre and promotes a healthy lifestyle.
- Maintain the reputation and confidentiality of the health centre and its clients at all times.
- Adhere to all applicable REACH policies and procedures.
- Physician registered (Full) with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C., certification with the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- Current CPR-HCP certification essential
- Currently providing full service family practice in or around East Vancouver desirable
- Current Advanced Life Support and Pediatric Life Support and/or Emergency Medicine experience desirable
- Current methadone exception and Suboxone certification or willingness to obtain same
- Ability to function and work cooperatively as a member of an interdisciplinary team and with members of the community.
- Ability to communicate effectively with adults and children of different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds on the subject of medical health and related matters.
- Demonstrates skill in provision of evidence based, ethical, culturally safe and appropriate care to all patients, and to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the social determinants of health being the foundation for providing care
- Awareness of the impact of colonization on Aboriginal peoples and understanding of cultural competency as a care provider.
- A background in working with youth, mental health, addictions, fragile families, refugees and frail elderly desirable
- Commitment and ability to implement REACH’s strategic goals, mission, vision and values.
- Ability to speak another language an asset.
- Familiar with OSCAR as an EMR an asset.
- Experience or training in delivering medical education an asset
- Experience or training in primary care research and policy an asset
- Ability to speak more than one language is an asset.
Additional requirements for job role:
Medical indemnity cover with Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) – Mandatory
- Street address 1145 Commercial Drive
- Country Canada
- Province/State British Columbia
- Map 1145 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Start Date April 11, 2022
- Location class Urban
- EMR Oscar
- Compensation Combined or Other Payment Models
- Estimated Remuneration Alternative Payment Arrangement – Service Contract