The Vancouver Aboriginal Health Society, a primary care clinic situated in Vancouver’s downtown eastside, is looking for physicians to join their team. The clinic serves a predominantly urban Indigenous population, although not exclusively so. Many of the patients struggle with their chronic illnesses (HIV, HCV, Diabetes, COPD) in the context of poverty, homelessness, substance use disorders, and mental health issues. The clinic is looking for physicians who can provide trauma-informed, culturally competent care to this patient population. Interested candidates must have a methadone license and be competent in prescribing opioid agonist therapy. They are open to physicians who wish to try out the clinic first with preceptors and orientation shifts. Most shifts have two other family physicians working at the same time, unless it is an evening or weekend shift. There are four exam rooms, and the clinic has one full-time RN who does blood work, immunizations, wound care, pap smear screening, and STI treatments. In addition to the ten family physicians that staff the clinic, there is also a psychiatrist, mental health counselors, elders, and a dietician working at the VNH clinic. The clinic also hosts a weekly evening youth clinic and a weekly women and children’s afternoon.
- Practice or Institution Name Vancouver Native Health Clinic
- Street address 449 E Hastings St
- City Vancouver
- Country Canada
- Province/State British Columbia
- Map 449 East Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Start Date January 27, 2021
- Schedule Description M-F: 9am-12:30pm, 1:30-5pm; M-Th 5:00-8:30pm; Sat 9am-2:30pm and Sun: 9-12:30. Shift times are 20 minutes on average
- Specialty FAMILY MEDICINE
- Location class Urban
- Perks Free parking is available on the clinic lot
- EMR Oscar
- Compensation Sessional
- Estimated Remuneration The clinic physicians are funded through Vancouver Coastal Health and pays their physicians a sessional rate.
- Other Details For more information on this opportunity, please contact the Vancouver Division of Family Practice today!